Sunday, February 22, 2009

Thing 11: Social Media

I examined the recommended websites for this thing. I signed up for DIGG because I appreciated the fact that I could select the content. (Some subjects I choose not to follow.) Reddit, Mixx and Newsvine were okay but had way too many annoying comments. One can have a room full of people and everyone will have a different opinion or belief. No two people will have the same exact ideology. An opinion is based on upbringing, social conditioning, education and events that affect us. (Tradition, training and trauma) To alter this, there is too much history to affect a change. In the words of characters from CORNER GAS (a sit-com), a blog is where you can post your ranting so the rest of the world can ignore it. Despite the fact that a few people may read this blog, I have come to the conclusion that this NEFLIN project is more for self-discovery, self-realization and for those with little work ethic, work avoidance.

If readers have gotten to this point and wish to read my opinion of the NYT, WA post and BBC, here goes. WA Post required one to sign up which I did not want to do. NYT has always been a favorite to read but I never subscribed because they kill so many trees just for their Sunday edition alone. Reading on-line will be a nice treat. The BBC has a unique global perspective which I do enjoy reading. Both of these will go on my RSS feeds. The same for StumbleUpon. This website had some interesting links.

As far as use in the library, they are sources for best seller lists and other articles for some research, however I truly believe they may be more of a productivity detractor than enhancer. I prefer the face to face work with patrons. An actual smile on the face gains more respect and positive reaction than a thousand smiling emoticons. Isolating oneself behind a monitor, hiding away from the life going on around you, forgetting to smile at patrons, friends and loved ones is abhorrant to me. I do not mind learning about new tools but I refuse to do it at the expense of the important things in my life. How's that for ranting!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment