Thursday, April 2, 2009

Thing 22: Staying Current


Almost there....whew! Over the past few weeks, we have been guided through blogs, websites and shown aspects of the Internet that are new to some and old hat to others. We have been led to gather tools to put in a shiny new box. These are not items to gather dust and save like stamps or coins. Those we only take out occasionally and examine only to be re-stored for another time. The web tools are meant to be used either for personal use or for the job for which we are paid. I love having the right tool for the job. There is nothing more satisfying. (I would rather shop at the tool corral in Lowe's than any sale at Beall's.)But more than having the tool(s) we need to be familiar with how it is used, what the quirks are and what is the best way to use it. The more we show others how to use a tool, the more we ourselves become familiar with it.
Throughout this marathon of Internet scrutiny, I have realized that the main tool we need to exercise is our brain both for judgement and imagination. This incredible arsenal of tools enables us to be more aware of events, trends and the evolution of the library in the real world.
I pledge to continue my learning, my search for other aspects of Library/Web 2.0 but I will still not forget to look out the window and marvel at the trees and turkeys, I will smile and greet the patrons as they enter my domain and I will not forget the important people in my life. I will learn to move toward my goals and desires one step at a time. I will learn to love the doing and use the accumulation of time. When we multiply tiny increments of time with small increments of daily effort, we will find we can accomplish magnificent things. We can change the world.
It is pointless to think of lost hours of yesterday. The way to make learning, a lesson of celebration instead of a cause for regret is only to ask, "How can I put this to use today?"
Work like you do not need money,
Love like you have never been hurt
Dance like no one is watching.
Thank you for this odyssey. When is the next 23... bring it on!

2 comments:

  1. Can I get an AMEN from the congregation... from the cars driving by the church... from the rest of the surrounding community... from the county... from the state... from the NATION FOR WHICH WE STAND!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have realized that the main tool we need to exercise is our brain both for judgement and imagination."

    This is a wonderful statement!

    ReplyDelete